Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wednesday's Activities

I visited another school today. I enjoyed classes on writing, dance, flag marching, science and math. It has been such a treat to sit in on classes, observe teaching and have great interactive discussions with the students. They are both excited and shy to see me. Once the first couple of questions begin, they just start rolling. I have been impressed with just how interested the students are in global issues, our schools, our students, and how our teachers teach. It is great fun to watch just how animated the students are with each other when working in groups. Children are children all over the world.

The teachers I have met also have a genuine commitment to their students and to improving their craft. It is evident that the teachers understand that learning is not just book, lecture and memorization. They are engaging students in doing project work. Another important aspect of the observations has been the early immersion of English. The scope of the country-wide focus on learning English is staggering.

Another thing that has struck me is the sheer number of cranes and just how rapidly China is growing its infrastructure, education, and economic systems!

The principal and assistants provided lunch for Fang Qi and me at another very nice restaurant. I sent a picture of the unusual fish dish with a laced net made from a carrot.

No comments:

Post a Comment